Sheet-Pan Chicken Fajitas
0 made it | 0 reviews | 0 photos
Source: New York Times
You might think fajitas are too fussy for a weeknight, but this easy, foolproof
version roasts on a sheet pan and can be ready in an hour. Because the
ingredients are thinly sliced, everything cooks in a flash — and with little
attention required. Smoked paprika and chipotle chiles provide the smoky flavor
that would traditionally come from the grill. This recipe is very adaptable:
Chicken is called for here, but you could also use shrimp or tofu. For a vegetarian
version, substitute fresh corn kernels, mushrooms, poblano peppers or zucchini
for the meat. Cut the vegetables into sizes you’d want in a taco, coat them in the
lime-chipotle marinade, roast until cooked, then broil until charred.
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lime, zested and juiced (about 2 teaspoons zest and 2 tablespoons juice)
- 1 to 2 chipotle chiles in adobo, to taste, coarsely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin or crushed cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 1.5 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs, cut into 1/2-inch thick slices
- 3 bell peppers, any color or a combination
- 1 large red onion
- 8 flour tortillas, plus more as needed
1. Heat the oven to 425 degrees. In a medium bowl, stir together 4
tablespoons oil, the lime zest and juice, chipotle chiles, chopped garlic,
cumin and paprika with 1 1/2 teaspoons salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
Add the chicken, toss to coat and set aside to marinate while you
prepare the vegetables.
2. Cut bell peppers in half lengthwise, remove stem and seeds and cut into
1/4-inch slices. Peel and halve the onion and cut it into 1/4-inch slices.
On a 2 sheet pans, divide the bell peppers and onion and toss with the
remaining 2 tablespoons oil, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon
3. Gently shaking off excess marinade as you go, transfer the chicken to
the sheet pans, nestling the chicken between the peppers and onions.
Roast the chicken and vegetables until the chicken is cooked through
and the peppers are soft, 15 to 20 minutes.
4. Once the chicken and vegetables are removed from the oven, place the
tortillas directly on a free oven rack until warm, about 1 minute, flipping
once halfway through. Wrap the tortillas in a kitchen towel or foil to keep
5. Serve chicken and vegetables with tortillas and desired toppings.
No reviews yet! Will you be the first?